Kitesurfing FAQ, Kiteboarding FAQ
This is a copy of the Kitesurfing FAQ originally developed by Hung Vu (with some contributions from Mark Frasier) for the Kitesurfing School web site.
- What is kitesurfing, kite surfing kiteskiing, kiteboarding or flysurfing?
- How does it work and how did it all start?
- Is kitesurfing safe?
- Can a kitesurfer go upwind?
- How does a kitesurfer go upwind?
- Can I kitesurf in very light wind?
- Can I kitesurf in very strong wind?
- Can I relaunch the kite from the water?
- What equipment do I need to kitesurf?
- What types of kite can I use?
- What types of kite control device can I use?
- What types of board can I use?
- Can I use the kite to pull me on snow or ice?
- Can I use the kite to pull me on land?
- Can I use the kite with a boat?
- Do I need an assistance to launch or land the kite?
- Who are selling kitesurfing equipment?
- How much does it cost?
- I don't have $1500! How can I get into this sport?
- Where can I buy used kitesurfing equipment?
- How hard is it to learn how to kitesurf?
- How can I learn to kitesurf?
- What is the wind window?
- What is the typical wind range of a kite?
- Can a kitesurf kite reef automatically as a windsurfing sail?
- How does a kitesurfer control the power of a kite?
- How many kites do I need?
- What line length should I use?
- What line strength should I use?
- Should I choose a control bar or handles?
- How do I change direction on a bidirectional kiteboard?
- How do I change direction on a directional kiteboard?
- Is it easier to jibe or to go from heel-down to toe-down position on a directional board?
- Should I choose a bidirectional or directional kiteboard?
- Should I choose bindings or footstraps?
- How many kiteboards do I need?
- How big a kiteboard should I choose?
- How big a kite should I choose?
- What is a safety release system?
- How does a safety release system work?
- Why do I need a safety release system?
- Can I build my own kiteboard or convert an old surf or windsurfing board to a kiteboard?
- How many fins should I have on my board?
- Can I build my own kite?
- I am a windsurfer, why should I learn kitesurfing?
- I am a windsurfer, is it hard to convert?
- How fast is a kiteboard compared to a sailboard?
- Can I use my wakeboarding, snowboarding or water-ski skills?
- Can I do tricks in kiteboarding as in wakeboarding?
- Can I kitesurf where people are windsurfing, water-skiing, jetskiing, or whatever?
- How many kitesurfers can kitesurf in a space that can normally accommodate 100 windsurfers?
- I'm a kite buggier, is kitesurfing much different?
- How fast is a kiteboard compared to a buggy?
- Do I have to be the athletic type?
- Is there a discussion group on the net for kitesurfing?
- I am convinced now so how do I start?