there's a lot of how-to's out there, so i thought i'd throw in some uncommon tips
- use your smallest bar, i cut down my bars to 14" for small to med kites, and 15" for large kites. what this does is help keep the kite from unwanted/accidental redirection.
- change the chicken loop on your bar to either a medium or large size
- remove the donkey dick, or get a spreader bar donkey dick (rare and hard to find)
- start the learning process by riding way upwind, then when comfortable unhook and ride a long distance slightly downwind. learn to both edge out the gusts, and to bear off downwind to kill the power of gusts.
- learn to unhook with 9m or larger kites first.
- i set up my line lengths so i don't have to trim the kite everytime to unhook.
just a few - hope that helps.